Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • If born in USA, original/certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the county or state health department or bureau of vital statistics OR a previous passport.

  • To order your birth certificate, GO to
  • If born outside USA, Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR a previous US passport.

  • File Search is required when applicant is unable to present evidence of citizenship.
  • In addition to the passport application, submit a written request for File Search to verify a previous U.S. Passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

  • Applicants who are overseas and whose passport was lost or stolen are exempt from paying the File Search Fee.

  • US Department of State Fee for this service is $150.00